Saturday, June 12, 2010

First Post!

I went looking for commuter Mommy blogs and didn't find any...since the idea has been bouncing around in my head for awhile now and I have nothing better to do, this is my attempt to detail my life as a commuter mom. 

Last week I accepted a job offer for a job in Washington D.C.  No, I can't tell you where or what for.  It's part of the agreement I signed.  Suffice it to say, it pays REALLY well and requires all sorts of paperwork with scary questions like, "Give us the phone number of someone who lived next door when you were 12."

All this would be fine and dandy, except I was coming out to take the job from Sterling, Colorado.  It's perfectly acceptable if you don't know where it is.  It's a small town 40 miles from the border with Nebraska in northeast Colorado.  The number of people that lived in that town probably live in a 4 block radius out here.  So last week, I said goodbye to my co-workers of 3 years, my husband bought me a car to drive out here, and I left him and my almost-1-year-old daughter in Sterling while I drove out to D.C. into the great unknown.

Before I left I was scared shitless, I will admit.  The largest city I've lived in before Sterling was Denver, CO, where I grew up...but even that doesn't compare to D.C.  Today was my very first Metro ride, which I was happy to find was relatively painless as far as figuring out what train goes to where.  The bus system in Denver leaves much to be desired, and the Light Rail is a pale imitation of the monolith that is the Metro system in general...it all operates like a well-oiled machine.   

The attitude is much different out here as well...it's a lot less relaxed.  Folks aren't rude (thank goodness, I haven't yet met anyone who was rude) but the general consensus I get is that everybody has thier business and you're best sticking to yours.  I don't necessarily find that offputting despite having spent the last few years in a small town, because the small town taught me quickly that knowing too much about your neighbors is as bad or worse than knowing nothing about them. 

I hope this blog will become both a log and a way to reflect on my experience out here...I may only be out here for the duration of my contract or I may be out here permenantly and my husband and daughter will come join me when things are figured out.  I also hope that someday my daughter might have a chance to read this and know that her Mommy still loves her more than anything, even being 2000 miles away.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog Teresa! Take care and keep blogging!
    -Karen Stewart

    ReplyDelete